Sunday, November 21, 2010

SQUASH it baby...


Look how plenty our squash are! That's only from one plant.I only have this one squash plant.It was growing so healthy,and was flowering abundantly for the past months,but not giving us fruit.I guess,it was the rain again. There are days that's so humid and i think that doesnt encourage pollination.BLAME it on the BEES! :) Maybe they are not out during those times.There are days that im so desperate,i would grab some leaves to touch the male flower and wipe it on the female flower.It did not work too,LOL.
These squash are organically grown and oh so yummy! They said its the "malabo" variety.All i know ,when i bake it,it's texture is like sweet potatos!I save some seeds,to share with those who wanted to plant squash. I just love eating them fresh out of the oven.I made squash soup, squash cheese cake,and just put it in my "law uy" (mixed veggies).Our favorite is squash with alogbate(picture below),kids just love that soup.I could cook and eat that 5x a week! ha ha ha. Its also yummy with saluyot(picture below).You could also just mash it,add some spices you like (nutmeg and cinnamon is my favorite)Add some cream ,salt and pepper,topped with cheese and bake!! That's one of my low carb meal.If you want it as dessert,just remove cheese and add sugar!! yummy!.I remember i used to love "yema de kalabasa" when i was a kid and been wanting to make one for so many years now.Maybe i should and will post it here.:)
our SALUYOT
They are old now and leaves were eaten by flea beetle.They made holes which is not so pleasing for the saluyot to be eaten, ha ha ha.I have saved some seeds and will be planting them soon.

our ALOGBATE
The trellis are just too low for this alogbate's in my garden.I will be making higher trellis the next time i plant more alogbate.

No comments:

Post a Comment